Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Sankt Nikolaus Tag

Well...there went November. :)


It was a LOVELY, wonderful month...full of firsts and special occasions. We are very thankful, indeed. Today is St. Nikolaus Day here at the Long house, and in Europe. I love this tradition, and it has been so fun, because the last 2 years I've been asked to speak to Ali's class on the holiday. They are studying different countries at the moment, so they wanted to hear about Ali's special 'German' holiday tradition. This morning the girls found their boots, filled up with goodies, waiting for them by the door. :)

Today is also the one-month anniversary of Lauren's baptism! She wanted to sign up for the baptism class our church was having, and then she was just-in-time for the November baptisms. It was a great day, and I recorded it, but blogger will not let me upload the video. She gave her testimony, and even though she said she was nervous, she did a great job.

ALL of November...well, up until the 18th...Corey and I were keeping a secret. A big one. Ali was going to get a PUPPY for her birthday. Oh my.

It all started mid-October. Ali has been asking and asking for a dog since we moved in to the house. Then it was always about not having a yard, but now that we have a yard, she was really dialing it up. We told her we were still waiting for the perfect puppy and we'd just have to see. Well, her friend Chloe got a new puppy and we went to meet her. Ali fell in love with her puppy and asked, could she please, just have one like Chloe's? Well, after asking her dad about the breed, and hearing how much they loved her...we thought maybe! BUT, then he said, she was $500. Um. No. Not today.

I remembered that my cousin Jake had pictures on Facebook of puppies they'd had at their house. So, I started scrolling through the pictures and lo and behold...they were the SAME breed as Chloe's. I emailed Jake, hoping they still had the puppies, and that maybe he'd have some kind of family discount. ;) Sure enough...we had our choice of puppies, and for us...FREE. AND, this is the kicker...the puppies would be weaned and be able to be picked up on Ali's birthday. How cool.

So, we kept it a secret and on Ali's birthday we went to pick up 'Cash'. Now, all the puppies were named after country music legends...ours was Johnny Cash, and with the girls' approval, we shortened it to 'Cash. Ali's reaction was priceless...I think shocked into silence. She couldn't believe it. The best part was telling the whole story, how he was the perfect puppy for us.


 And, as a HUGE bonus...Cheridy, Amas and Brooke were able to get Cash's sister, Holly (aka Holly Williams). So, the girls are all about puppies each time they chat on Skype...which has been daily. :) It will be a fun, fun Christmas watching brother and sister meet up again. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment