Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Playing Catch Up

Life's been busy since arriving back home, mostly because we have to catch up on all of our doctor appointments, which consequently hasn't turned out to be the most fun for me.

We never went to the dentist in Germany. Nothing against German dentists, I simply didn't want to have to try to speak German yet again, and I thought we were young and taking good care of our teeth. Once a year on a visit home seemed to be sufficient. We went straight away for cleanings when we arrived home, only to find out that I, yes me, had 3 cavities and need for a crown on another tooth. What?!

I suppose I was due, I had only ever had 1 cavity in my life, but it still seemed a bit much. The kicker was that I also developed a bump on the inside of my lip called a mucoscele...or something like that. Apparently I had bit my lip, possibly twice in the same spot, and damaged a saliva duct causing it to balloon up. I needed to have it removed because it was so big, so I was to go to an oral surgeon. What?!!

After all was said and done, I've had a rather unpleasant few months with stitches and drilling... and paying for all of it just adds to the joy. But, I am thankful to be in the States for such things - where I can ask, and understand the answer to, all the silly questions I want.

I would've liked to laugh through the whole ordeal, had it not put me at risk of splitting my stitches. I had plenty of opportunities to try and hold back the laughter. My sweet friend Becky loved to respond quickly for me whenever anyone asked what happened to my lip, which was swollen. She simply chimed in, "She had botox." :)

I also had been prescribed an antibiotic which I could take if an infection developed. When reading the side effects of this drug - (I always do this first as I tend to be sensitive to side effects from medicine) - the VERY FIRST side effect listed - 'patient could develop a black hairy tongue'.
WHAT??!!

Unbelievably thankful I didn't develop an infection.

I mean...how hairy? How black? Have people taken this before? Crazy.

I'm eating, drinking and smiling as usual these days. Just in time for me to attempt getting a new copy of my American drivers license tomorrow. I hope it's not too big of a deal. If they ask what happened to it, do I say that the German goverment is holding it??

No comments:

Post a Comment