Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Then there was Basketball


People who know me, know I dug my heels in about starting extra-curricular activities. I knew it was coming, I just feared all the busy-ness. Well, we took the plunge with Upward Basketball this winter. Upward is run by area churches and is a wonderful program that focuses on character and learning the game and skills properly. It was worth the extra $ - as you can imagine I opposed that too. :)

My pictures are not great here. I had the camera on a wrong setting and didn't get any nice shots. And, if I would've stopped to try and figure it out, I would've been missing the all-time greatest entertainment of a 1st grade basketball game!

SO FUNNY! They actually got much better by the season end, and that was a little sad in itself. I loved watching them scramble around and joyfully pass, shoot and try to score. They gave them armbands with a matching color to the person they were to be guarding...smart! You can see that in the top photo with Lauren...she is correctly matched up. :)

We had a great experience and I'm glad we made it through. The girls are hooked now and want to do anything and everything. ;) I loved how happy Ali was on the court. Guarding was a big game in itself...it was a crazy game of 'copy what I do!' On a side-note, we had parent-teacher conferences towards the end of the season. Her teacher mentioned that Ali has little-to-no competitive drive. I had to laugh because, #1 - I was absolutely pleased about that, and #2 - I could see it already on the court. She has no problem when others are first or take charge. She rejoices with them! (Of course it is a different story at home when sister trys to take charge.)

Lauren had a coach that was very particular about skills and she learned A LOT! I was proud of how hard she worked and how she enjoyed it. I think both girls will stick with it and we'll be back at the courts next season. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment